Friday, May 7, 2010

Fate

Since my birthday is December 1st, my astrological sign is Saggitarius. I have always thought that horoscopes are kind of a joke, it seems like the people writing them could just make up anything they want. But they're still fun to read and laugh about. Looking online I found several descriptions of a Saggitarius personality, and decided to use this one.

You have a lot of nervous energy and are very optimistic. Sagittarius will overlook details so that the overall picture can be considered. Sagittarius is warm and friendly. You like to talk a great deal making it difficult for others to get a word in edgewise. Sagittarius loves to travel. You are adaptable, tolerant, philosophical, knowledgeable, honest and outspoken. Like Gemini, this is a dual sign and a love of change and variety is felt. Sagittarius is constructive, clear-sighted, generous, cheerful, loyal and independent.

Some of this stuff is true for me, and some is really the opposite. I don't really have a lot of nervous energy, I would say I'm a pretty calm person and I am optimistic for the most part. Most of the time I don't talk to much, but there are always exceptions. I really do love traveling, and I need change and variety. So this horoscope is pretty much like all the others, it's a bunch of random characteristics that could apply to pretty much anyone.

In Romeo and Juliet, many of the characters, especially Romeo, take fate very seriously. The way Romeo thinks of fate is shown after Mercutio has been murdered, when he says, "This day's black fate on more days doth depend. This but begins the woe others must end." (3.1.124-125) Romeo has a feeling that what took place on that day is not finished yet, and will take many more days until other people finally end it. Although he doesn't know it yet, he is right. The next day he and Juliet will kill themselves, causing the fued between the families to come to an end at last. Romeo speaks of fate again after he murders Tybalt and says, "O, I am Fortune's fool!" (3.1.142) He feels that he can't control his actions, but fate controls what he does. Romeo seems to blame fate for a lot of his problems, but really they could be solved if he had a little mroe common sense and wasn't so dramatic.

1 comment:

  1. very well thought out...nice quotes( i used the same ones so they are awesome.) anyways, at least your horoscopes are kind of true unlike mine!

    ReplyDelete