Ok so I'm not a Twilight freak, but I have read the books. And the second book, New Moon, has a plot a little bit like Romeo and Juliet, with some refrences to the story in it. For example, there is one chapter in New Moon titled "Paris", that is almost a complete metaphor. In this chapter she keeps thinking, what if Juliet liked Paris too, and was caught between Paris and Romeo. In the story Bella is caught in a similar situation as she is caught between Edward and Jacob.
Another allusion to Romeo and Juliet is made in New Moon within the plot. There is a part in the plot where Bella goes cliff-diving, and Edward gets misinterpreted information that she jumped off a cliff and died. He is so heartbroken that he attempts to kill himself and almost succeeds, but Bella gets there just in time. Similarly, in Romeo and Juliet, Juliet takes a drug that makes her appear dead, and Romeo gets misinterpreted information that she is dead and is so heartbroken he attempts to kill himself. Unfortunately, Juliet doesn't wake up in time, and so their story ends in a tragedy. As you can see, these two stories are very similar, and contain several parallels to each other in their plot and characters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Linnaea,
ReplyDeleteWow, you are so very talented. Bringing the twilight series(and yes i did mean for that to be un-capitalized)back into the world. Ugg. I needn't reminders not as Shakespeare might say. Ok that would be contradicting it so it would be saying I did mean reminders....nevermind. Anyways, your thoughts were BRILLIANT. Especially the cliff diving part. Although, I don't understand how you could remember certain things out of those books unless you had just read them. Hmm....
Sincerely,
Hania