Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Great Expectations- The First Stage

When Pip speaks about how a chain is started by the first link, which is the most memorable part of it, he is referring to his first day at Miss Havisham's. This day is one of the most memorable days Pip has ever experienced, the other being when he met his convict. Since he is only 7 years old, he hasn't been out of his house very much, and so this experience really shocks him. He has never seen anybody of high social class like Estella and Miss Havisham, so he does not know that he is common and rough. When Estella tells him frankly that he is plain and common, he feels bad about himself. This chapter also shows Pip's sensitive character, and how Estella's words really hurt him. This day is the start of a new part of Pip's life, and his dream of becoming a gentleman.

A memorable day that began a new part of my life was my very first violin lesson. This day is a very faint memory to me, since I was just 4 1/2 years old, but it was a very important day in my life. On that day that I first placed a violin in my tiny hands, I started a long chain of music. After this first lesson, I became more interested in other types of music, which eventually led to me joining a choir and playing the piano. My passion for music began on this day, and has continued ever since.

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure Pip is talking about Miss Havisham's, or his lie to Mr. Pumblechook and his sister? I thought he was talking about the chain of lies that start from one lie. Other than that, nice flow and word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it is.....linnaeas right- that's what I got anyway. The lies did lead to problems but i dont think that that was the "main" chain into the rest of the events!

    ReplyDelete