In my paragraph, I am describing Lady Bracknell's attitude towards marriage. The first idea in my paragraph is how Lady Bracknell thinks that a marriage should be arranged by the parents, and the girl getting married should have no say in the matter. As an example of this I used the quote, “An engagement should come on a young girl as a surprise, pleasant or unpleasant, as the case may be. It is hardly a matter that she could be allowed to arrange for herself…” Then I went on to describe the stereotypical Victorian mother that Lady Bracknell is, and the way she controlls Gwendolen. The second idea in my paragraph is about Lady Bracknell's obsession with the money of a marriage. I used the quote “A hundred and thirty thousand pounds! And in the funds! Miss Cardew seems to me a most attractive young lady, now that I look at her.” to explain how lady Bracknell does not approve of Cecily until she finds out she is wealthy.
The third and final idea in my paragraph is the Lady Bracknell won't allow Gwendolen to marry someone who is not high in society. I explained how she doesn't think that Jack is a suitable husband for Gwendolen because he does not know his social status since he was found in a handbag. I went on to say that even though Jack was adopted by someone of high social standing, Lady Bracknell does not approve of his background. Finally, in the conclusion I reviewed Lady Bracknell's thoughts on marriage. The last sentence of my paragraph is, "However, these beliefs on marriage are quite contrary to those of her nephew, Algernon Moncrieff." Do you think that this is a good lead into Hania's paragraph on Algernon?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great job! your commentaries are good. I like the part about Lady Bracknell being a stereotypical Victorian lady. you did a pretty good job relating it to the thesis but i might say something more about satire since its the main idea of our essay! I think that your 3-fold sentence is really great! it will go well w/ my paragraph!!!
ReplyDeleteThis makes it sound like you really grasped the promt and know exactly what you plan to write about. I completely agree with Hania in saying that your commentaries are great and seem thoughtful. I also agree that you put in a lot of effort in making sure that your paragraph will flow well with the one that will be following yours. You also covered the sterotypes that were very promintent in the book, and also did a good job including some examples of satire.
ReplyDelete