Friday, March 12, 2010

Book Questions...

This book is very much high and formal diction, and there are a lot of things I could have asked. But one thing that I really don't understand is when Pip is visiting Miss Havisham and Estella, now that he is a gentleman, and Miss Havisham tells him something very confusing. In chapter 29 she says, "Hear me Pip! I adopted her to be loved. I bred her and educated her to be loved. I developed her into what she is, that she might be loved. Love her!" (240) I really don't understand the what she means by this. Does she want Pip to love her because Miss Havisham herself could never love her? or does she want Pip to completely love her so that he can get his heart broken and share her grief?

2 comments:

  1. I think Miss Havisham wants Pip to Love Estaella completly so she can break his heart more, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linnaea! I agree with Christina on this one. Miss Havisham really wants to rip apart every single guy's heart in the world because her one true love abandoned her. And that's why Miss Havisham wants Pip to love Estella so there is an even greater chance tht Estella can break Pip's heart.

    ReplyDelete